Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Paw Patrol Costume -- Skye

My SIL was having a hard time finding a "family friendly" , costume for her daughter this Halloween.  I can agree with her considering female costumes can be too risque, even for girls!

So I had an idea pop in my head that I could make her a more modest Skye costume.  I went to several Goodwill stores to find a hooded sweatshirt and sweat pants in my nieces size that I could work a pattern off of.   Plus I saved a ton of money using Joann coupons to by my fleece and I had pink sateen fabric already in my stash from a previous project.



My first step was to take apart the sweatpants and shirt.  Once that was done I put the pieces right sides together to cut out for the jacket and sleeves.  When sewing the jacket pieces together I only sewed the shoulders together (right sides together).  You will need to leave the sides of the jacket open, because this will make sewing on the sleeves much easier.

Copyright KariBeriCrafty


Next, I had to figure out how to make the arms two colors like the character Skye.  I could not figure out how to make a rounded edge on the sleeve so I settled for a more pointed end.




What I did here was that I made two copies of the sleeve in cream fleece and in brown fleece.  I kinda fussy cut the cream color piece into a pentagon and cut it in half.  Then sewed the two pieces to the brown fabric.  Make sure to trim the brown pentagon piece keeping your 3/4 inch seam.  Then I folded the sleeve in half in order to sew along the un-sewn side.  Then I unfolded the piece and pressed it all out with an iron.  Once you are done making the sleeves.  I lined up the shoulders to match the sleeves and with right sides together, sewed along the should piece first leaving the other side of the sleeve open.  To finish off, I started to sew from the cuff of the sleeve all the way down the side of the jacket.  ( When doing this make sure the right side of the fabrics are facing each other)

Once you are finished sewing on the arms and closing up the jacket, I turned the jacket right side out and pressed the jacket with an iron.




Then with the light pink fabric i measured a long strip with it being three inches wide for the collar and the bottom of the shirt.  When adding the light pink to the dark pink top I put the pieces right sides together and sewed around using a 3/4 inch seam.  For the collar I started with right sides together then I folded the fabric over and top sewed it together.  Don't forget to iron it out afterwards.

I then added the zipper to the top.  Here is a link, to a YouTube video that I referenced when I installed the zipper to the jacket.  I used tons of pins because trying to sew a zipper to satin fabric is really tricky!


I made a rough pattern for the ears and tail, making two pieces of each. Sewed the pieces together with right sides facing each other then turned them out and pressed with an iron.  I sewed the hood pieces together and turned it inside out so I could attach the hood to the jacket.  As for the ears I just sewed each ear to each side of the head. 

When making the pants I forgot to take pictures of the step I took.  Basically I took the pair of sweat pants I bought and copied them onto the brown fleece fabric.  

I am pretty happy on how this costume turned out and my niece absolutely loves it. My SIL sent me a video of her unboxing her costume and her squeals and giggles totally made my day! In the next upcoming entry I will show you how I made my nephew's costume, Marshal from Paw Patrol.  

Happy Halloween!



No comments:

Post a Comment